Sunday, March 15, 2015

C4T Summaries #2


First Comment
Thinking Through a Lesson

Hi David,

I am a student at the University of South Alabama taking a course in EDM 310, which teaches us how to use and incorporate technology into the classroom. I will be summarizing my visits to your blog through a post in my blog, www.reedjessseedm310.blogspot.com, on March 15th.  Your post and my class's learning goals are similar. For instance, in my class we are learning to use and successfully implement technology into our future classrooms. TTAL sounds like something that could be useful for me as a future educator. Planning lessons is one of the things that I am scared and nervous about when I do get a job. I am just scared that I won't be creative enough when planning lessons and TTAL would be great in helping me when I plan lessons. Also, TTAL would aid me in making sure I meeting my learning goals for the kids. Thank you for sharing this information!

Thanks,

Jesse Reed

First Summary 

In this post David spoke about the TTAL protocol which stands for Thinking Through a Lesson. TTAL helps teachers plan lessons that involve technology. David says that it puts the goal or focus first then helps plan that lesson based on that main focus or goal. Also, he said that before using TTAL his planning was more sporadic. After using TTAL, he says that his lessons are more organized and goal focused. He explains in brief detail the elements of the protocol. I plan to research it in more detail!

Amusing image of a man sitting a computer

Second Comment

Hi David,
I found this post to be very interesting! I like to hear how others conduct their classroom instruction because it gives me ideas for my future classes! I worry sometimes that I will not be able to hold the student's attention or that my lesson plans will be too easy for them. While I was reading this I thought back to my childhood and remember one of my teachers doing something similar to this to help us learn numbers. This seems like an interesting approach but I found it a little complicated. I had to read it a few times before fully understanding the concept. However, I do think that this approach is very useful because it seems challenging and really engages every student! I mentioned this in my last post but I will be summarizing my visits to your blog tonight! I also appreciate that you checked out my blog!

Thanks,
Jesse Reed
@jesseannreed94
http://reedjesseedm310.blogspot.com

Second Summary

In this post, David is talking about his experience with Choral Counting to teach numbers and counting. The Choral Counting method is done by having the students say numbers out loud. For instance, David had his class start counting by 5s aloud. Some of the students, he said, would get caught up on certain numbers and at that point he would stop and ask why they were stuck on that particular number. When I first read this post I was a little lost so I had to read it a couple of times to fully understand the concept of Choral Counting. From my perspective and David's experience, it is a very effective method in teaching numbers and counting. It is defiantly something I will be using in my classroom in the near future!

Some of David's results using the Choral Counting method



No comments:

Post a Comment